Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hexagons


Hexagons intimidate me on so many levels! I have always loved Grandma's Flower Garden pattern, but felt it wasn't something I could do. Hand sewing, crazy seams, the block laying flat, hand sewing (I know I said that already, but its my least fav part of sewing! ) Many people say they can't sew because they don't have enough patience. I'd say I'm in the middle on the patience level & this really pushes my patience~ all that hand sewing and hand cutting takes FOREVER! I think what helps is that this is a 'side project' with no end date. I tend to put end dates on everything. If I'm leaving on a trip, if my mind decides I need to leave at 9am & if I go past that time~ even if there is no reason why I can't leave at 9:15, I get stressed. So, in order to enjoy this project~ because I will really love the end result~ I force myself to not put an end date on it. To be honest with you, I'm really not planning a whole quilt with hexagons. Probably just some instant gratification projects~ pillows, etc. I adore finding the perfect flower to capture inside the hexagon shape. I'm using 1" hexagons in a paper piecing package I bought at http://sewdeerlyloved.etsy.com because cutting out all those hexagons would just set me over the edge with boredom!

2 comments:

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I am afraid of hexagons for the very same reason...I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hate hand sewing! lol!

Sherry Hicks said...

Hi Monique! I have always wanted to make at least one of each of the traditional quilts, I admire the grandmothers flower garden. I am working on my sunbonnet sue and my double wedding ring....need to finish those first.......I have always used reproduction fabrics for most of my quilts and I admire your choices in fabrics with the bright modern colors I love the hexagon with the girl in the middle your color choices are just so fun! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Sherry

Thanks for visiting!