Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Finish
















I started working on this selvedge edge & patchwork dresser in August. It has taken a while for me to figure out which fabrics to highlight on the drawers & of course some time to add all the selvedges to the dresser exterior. This was an idea I came up with while in the shower. I seem to have the best uninterrupted time then, that and when I'm trying to fall asleep. :) I am in the process of adding on a bigger sewing room and thought this old dresser needed a facelift, and have been so inspired by people who've been creative with selvedge edges. I was going to do the same to the drawers, but being a quilter at heart, this was a great opportunity to put quilted pieces on the front.
For the dresser exterior, I spray glued each selvedge edge starting at either the top or bottom and working my way up or down overlapping on the previous. I found that I liked when I left a little fabric attached to the selvedge. I really learned as I went. Then I mod podged all the strips in place.
For the drawers, I sewed scrap strips together, put batting on the back and just attached the layers in a few places 1/4" from the seams. Then I attached a selvedge edge and quilted that down along the sides of the selvedge. I either applied spray glue or elmers to the drawer front~ either worked fine. I marked and snipped the spot where the knob was going to be before I glued the patchwork. Once the glue dried, I just used a staple gun to attach it to the drawer.
For the knobs I tried a few different ways. I first glued some of them to the knob then cinched it to the knob base with embroidery thread tied. Then I did it without the glue & first tied the fabric to the knob (as pictured) with cotton cording & then cut off the excess. The last technique was the easiest. I just screwed the knob back on and then the drawer was ready to go. Hope you enjoy seeing your fav designers on this dresser~ I know I will! Linking to amy's Sew & Tell friday! http://www.amylouwho.com/





23 comments:

Tori said...

Wow, what a creative idea, and awesome execution! I love it!

Jenean said...

This is wonderful!! I absolutely love it!

Leslie said...

wow that is amazing and so creative

Mary said...

Wow, this is so cool! I love it!

Jessica said...

What a fun and creative dresser! I love how you showcased the fabric on the drawers.

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

Wow! I remember you starting this! It turned out great! I like the selvages and the fabric on the drawer faces. And I most CERTAINLY see some designers on here that I love!! Oh and my best ideas come in the shower, and when I am running of all places! What's up with that?!?

Sherry Hicks said...

Monique, That project is magazine worthy, I think you should submit it to Creating Vintage Charm (new magazine, they are on facebook and have a blog! or one of the country romance, country living, Not kidding it is absolutely awesome and original I have never seen this done before and oh so cottage Decor worthy!
Love it!!! How creative you always are!

Dee said...

that is the coolest thing! love the colors and creativity! wow!

Trisha said...

That is awesome!!! It would look so great in my sewing room! Great job!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, that is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!! I am so jealous! When we move house, I definitely want to attach fabric to drawers like that for my sewing room. AWESOME!

Givinya De Elba said...

Monique, that's amazing! I ALWAYS read but rarely comment - today though I just have to say Brava!

Lappedamen said...

Wow,the most beautiful dresser I have seen.

Dianne said...

Oh my gosh! This is amazing! I don't know what is more amazing.....the idea or the amour of selvage pieces you had to cover a piece of furniture! I am new to amylouwho's site and her "Sew & Tell Fridays" and I'm so glad that I found her site and your's as well! :-)

Kristen said...

Absolutely amazing!

You have to get glass cut for the top so those pretty fabric selvages won't get a speck of dust on them. So fun fun fun...

Catherine said...

Wow this isso fun and such a great addition for a sewing room!

kate said...

I absolutely LOVE this. I love selvedge edges already and this is such an awesome way to display them. thanks for sharing and i hope you don't mind if i copy you someday!(i have to gather some selvedges first!)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome redo! That is so cool. I just came over from Jennifer's site -- love the bedding she featured, too!

~ Jennifer

randi said...

no way! this is simply amazing!

Country Mouse said...

I just came across your fabulous creation on fabricshopper's blog. I am so impressed!

XUE said...

Definitely the prettiest dresser ever!!! Warm wishes from Tokyo!

Tara said...

I have the same dresser size in my sewing, and have been trying to figure something what to do to make it pretty. LOVE this idea!!!!!

So jealous you get quiet time in the shower....

Crystelle Boutique said...

Hi Monique
Wow! Look at how creative you are!
I love the dresser!
Thanks so much for sharing.
I liked it so much, I posted it to my blog. This is the link:
http://selvageedgeboutique.blogspot.com/2010/11/imagine-that-selvage-edge-furniture.html
:)
Crystelle

Karen (nybird) (KMello) said...

A work of art for sure! It is so pretty.

I'm just learning how much value is placed on the "selvage edge" LOL...I've always discarded mine!

Thanks for visiting!