I started working on this selvedge edge & patchwork dresser in August. It has taken a while for me to figure out which fabrics to highlight on the drawers & of course some time to add all the selvedges to the dresser exterior. This was an idea I came up with while in the shower. I seem to have the best uninterrupted time then, that and when I'm trying to fall asleep. :) I am in the process of adding on a bigger sewing room and thought this old dresser needed a facelift, and have been so inspired by people who've been creative with selvedge edges. I was going to do the same to the drawers, but being a quilter at heart, this was a great opportunity to put quilted pieces on the front.
For the dresser exterior, I spray glued each selvedge edge starting at either the top or bottom and working my way up or down overlapping on the previous. I found that I liked when I left a little fabric attached to the selvedge. I really learned as I went. Then I mod podged all the strips in place.
For the drawers, I sewed scrap strips together, put batting on the back and just attached the layers in a few places 1/4" from the seams. Then I attached a selvedge edge and quilted that down along the sides of the selvedge. I either applied spray glue or elmers to the drawer front~ either worked fine. I marked and snipped the spot where the knob was going to be before I glued the patchwork. Once the glue dried, I just used a staple gun to attach it to the drawer.
For the knobs I tried a few different ways. I first glued some of them to the knob then cinched it to the knob base with embroidery thread tied. Then I did it without the glue & first tied the fabric to the knob (as pictured) with cotton cording & then cut off the excess. The last technique was the easiest. I just screwed the knob back on and then the drawer was ready to go. Hope you enjoy seeing your fav designers on this dresser~ I know I will! Linking to amy's Sew & Tell friday! http://www.amylouwho.com/