Friday, February 5, 2010

Planning a Quilt

How do you plan a basic patchwork quilt?? I do quite a few quilts & minky blankets using 8" squares so I can reasonably price them. I would enjoy doing more intricate patterns, but my labor cost would go way up. Usually, this is the perfect venue to show off all the amazing prints. This is a quilt I will be starting soon for Patrice using Moda fabrics. (The squares are overlapping in certain areas~ they are all 8.5" squares). What I usually do is make a graph & give each fabric a short name like RD for red damask or BF for brown floral and put it in each square on my paper. Then I pin together the squares and sew them all up. Now I have a road map to reconstruct the layout I made earlier without worry. There are so many techniques for every aspect of quilting that I was wondering if you do it any different? My husband said take a picture~ which I did, but now I have to run to the computer to keep checking the order. Tell me your thoughts! :)

1 comment:

trish said...

Good Morning.
My quilt piecing is similar to yours. If it is unable to fit on my big table, I place it on the floor. Typically everyone (or anyone I can grab walking by) gives me some advice! :o)
I hope you are having a nice weekend.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Thanks for visiting!